There's nothing worse than yellow hair as a blonde. We get some pretty serious paranoia about it .We would rather not look like our little friend above.
Basically, brassiness is a chemical reaction
Elements that either lead to build up in the hair, or elements that strip colour from the hair. Here are a few that ruin your colour :
- shampoos with sulfates
- ocean water
- sun exposure
What they do is lift the underlying pigment from your hair and cause yellow to happen.
Things that lead to buildup also join in to create brass :
- shampoo or conditioner or styling products with silicone or parabens
- mineral deposits from your shower or swimming pool
(By now you're probably thinking omg...what do i need to do, wrap myself or my head in cotton wool 24/7?!)
Our top tips are:
- Use sulphate and paraben free products , Kevin Murphy and Evo are all sulphate and paraben free, which is why we use and reccomend them at viva la blonde.
- use a detox once a week to remove build up from chlorine, sea water , etc
- always rinse your hair straight after swimming in the pool
- try to wear a hat when spending long periods of time in the sun
- use a toning treatment like Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel Rinse or Evo Fabuloso Platinum to really kill off every trace of yellow